Advantages And Disadvantages Of Distance Learning
Advantages And Disadvantages Of Distance Learning
Distance learning as the name implies is the learning done from a distance in that physical presence is not required.
This means that for learning to be possible, it has to be through a network(internet).
Distance learning is becoming more and more recognized and practised by many universities around the world and even in Nigeria.
It is basically offering everyone the chance to study and to achieve their potential no matter where they live, and in some cases, no matter their financial background.
With distance learning, no one has any excuse for not attaining their educational goal because there is ample opportunity for everyone who wishes to go to school.
Distance learning is the kind of learning that was created to make learning or having a degree, easier.
This is made possible through the internet.
There are several means and ways this knowledge is passed to you.
It could be through different applications where you will even have to be a part of a chat or through video chat etc.
Videos and materials on the degree will be sent to you and assignments will also be given online.
Distance learning is an awesome learning opportunity for everyone who wishes to attain a degree from a university they can’t be physically present at or if they really don’t have the time to be in these universities physically because of work, family or other commitments.
SEE THESE ARTICLES:
- Business Ideas for students
- Part-time jobs for students
- Disadvantages of working part time in school
- why every student should blog
- how to become a jumia agent
However, as sweet as distance learning, it has its own cons.
So in this article basically we’ll be writing about the advantages and disadvantages of distance learning.
Advantages of Distance Learning
The main advantage of distance learning is that it allows you to fit your learning around your work and home life.
1. Flexibility In Learning: Imagine a learning condition or process that doesn’t require you to always come to the classroom for classes etc. That’s some major advantage of distance learning because it provides you with this flexibility that you can literally choose your learning pace from the comfort of your home or work.
You can usually also set your own pace of study. It is your decision as to when and where you study. It doesn’t matter where you live – you can gain a degree from anywhere in the world from the very comfort of your home.
The prospect of going back to classroom education can be intimidating for many persons that are advanced in age.
If you are self-disciplined and self-motivated, the best benefit of distance education is that you can learn at your own pace.
It’s a known fact that different people learn in different ways and at different speeds. In a classroom, when everyone is being taught together, it is often difficult to have every student on the same page.
Some students are too shy to raise their doubts in the class. This is where distance education has an advantage over a regular campus program.
Since you are given all course work beforehand, you can study as much or as little as you want every day, as long as you complete your study material within the stipulated time. If you’ve doubts or queries, there are discussion forums, chat facilities with faculty and complete support from the distance education provider.
As with a full-time degree, students may find that they gain useful, transferable skills, such as planning and research.
2. Freedom Of Expression: Nothing is more discouraging than not being able to grasp a simple concept in class that every other person seems to be getting.
Asking a question or revealing that you are unable to grasp a concept in class can be quite embarrassing for many students. Distance education comes to your rescue here!
With distance learning, you can freely express yourself and ask relevant questions about any concept you do not seem to get properly.
This point alone is a major advantage of distance learning.
3. Cost Of Learning: Distance learning is some worth cheaper than taking up a full-time course or a part-time degree. Imagine the extra fees you will have to pay like hostel fees etc when you are taking up a full-time programme.
The cost of feeding and the time of learning is very expensive for full-time study and part-time study as compared to distance learning. A distance learning course often costs less than a full-time degree.
4. Comfortability of Learning Environment: Sitting on your couch or lying on your bed while you learn is a major advantage of distance learning.
Home is home as they say, so it must be more conducive than going to classrooms. You can decide where you want to study even if you want to lie on your bed or be inside your car it depends on you provided you accomplish the task given to you or finish the study materials as at when due.
Disadvantages of Distance Learning
The downside is that you will not enjoy the conviviality of being on a campus and rubbing shoulders with fellow students on a daily basis.
1. Complicated Technology: The medium of studying is very complicated as you need to be familiar with the tools required for the study classes.
Imagine a case study where you have to download and install a recommended software for the video chat, which means you have to learn how to make use of the software properly.
Also, you can run into a major challenge if you have network problems at important times. This is a major disadvantage of distance learning.
2. Questionable Credibility of Online Degrees: Not every employer or company accept distance learning degrees from employees. They always question the credibility of such a learning process.
Most IT companies don’t even care about your degrees, they only care about what you can do irrespective of your degree.
Because of this major disadvantage, most persons have become skeptical about obtaining an online degree. Well, if you ask me, distance education is the future. It is believed that in the near future, visually everything that can be studied during full-time and or part-time programme can also be studied online.
3. High Chances of Distraction: There are high chances of being distracted when studying online. There could be a distraction from chats online, fellow workers or family members who are present physically with you.
This is one reason many persons who decide to take up an online degree end up dropping out of the programme.
4. Lack of Social Interaction: Distance education limits social interactions, involves use of complex technology and has a negative perception among some employers.
There is social lack of social interaction with fellow students from the same school because you are not there physically.
Where you don’t stay in the school hostel, you may never know how it feels to really have a roommate and interract with students from other departments.
With distance learning, you won’t get to meet people from the school physically etc. You won’t even have study groups that you can share knowledge with physically.
Most times, even when the tutor groups individuals to form a study group, because you guys can’t be physically present with each other, having other students show same commitment and seriousness as yourself is very challenging.
This is really a disadvantage.
5. No Study Groups:
Loneliness and feelings of isolation should be avoided however by frequent online contact with tutors and taking part in virtual forums, virtual help groups, and discussion rooms.
Lastly, distance learning providers usually offer dedicated support to their online or distance learning students.
Also, despite its numerous drawbacks, distance learning still provides better learning options for students wishing to enjoy greater convenience and flexibility in pursuing a course.
Any student wishing to enroll for distance learning diploma or degree should weigh between its pros and cons to determine whether or not it’s a good option. Generally, distance education can be the perfect option for working-class students.
I hope you find this article helpful? Kindly use the share button to share this article on social media platforms like whatsapp, twitter and facebook.
Note: If you have any concerns or questions, do feel free to drop your comment below.
Thanks for reading,
- ABU Zaria Distance Learning Courses
- University of Ibadan Distance Learning School Fees
- ABU Zaria Distance Learning Centre Academic Calendar