What Are The Subject Required For Nursing In Jamb
What Are The Subject Required For Nursing In Jamb
Have you ever thought of becoming a nurse in Nigeria? Have you ever thought about the list of subjects you need to pass if you want to study nursing in Nigeria?
Well, in this article, I will be listing the list of subjects you need to become a nurse in Nigeria.
As at today, many Nigerians believe that not many professional courses are worth studying anymore.
This is really because of the employment rates.
There are courses you will study in Nigeria and it’s only “connection” that can help you get a job.
But nursing is not like that.
Nursing is one of the few courses you study in Nigeria and be sure of getting a job or opening your own health clinic.
Now let me answer just a few questions we have been asked severally by our site visitors.
Someone asked us if jamb is required to study nursing in a school of nursing, well, it is not required.
If you get the require O’level results, you will just buy the form of a nursing school and the nursing school will set their own assessment examination.
You will only need to buy JAMB direct entry form if, after your nursing school, you wish to study further in a university.
Also, how long is BSN in Nigeria? If you have such a question too, let me answer it.
Actually, it depends on the medium you are using to enter a university in Nigeria that offers nursing as a course.
If you are using JAMB UTME, it takes 5 years.
If you are using direct entry, it takes a minimum of 4 years because you will start from 200L in the university of your choice.
However, you must have spent an average of 3years in getting you A’level qualification.
Mind you, you can only be given a BSN degree from a certified University in Nigeria.
WAEC/NECO Subject Combination For Becoming A Nurse In Nigeria
What are the subjects you need to enrol in your WAEC/NECO if you want to study nursing in Nigeria?
Before I answer this question, let me quickly talk about what is commonly believed by a lot of aspirants in Nigeria.
Some nursing students believe that mathematics is not compulsory. Well, do not be deceived, it is very compulsory.
If you do not pass mathematics by at least a credit in your WAEC/NECO, you can’t study nursing in Nigeria.
What are the subjects you need to take:
- English Language
These are the compulsory five subjects you need to get at least a credit on if you want to study nursing in Nigeria.
But then, to complete the subjects to be 8 or 9, you will take any other 3 or 4 subjects like
- Agricultural Science
- Further mathematics
- Literature in English, ETC
The subjects listed above are of your own discretion, you can pick from any of them to complete the number of subjects you can enrol.
But don’t forget to make a choice that will create more options for you.
What this means is that you have to choose subjects in such a way that you can make a change of course if need be.
Always think about that.
JAMB Subject Combination For Becoming A Nurse In Nigeria
The list of Jamb subjects combination you have to enrol before you can study nursing in any Nigeria universities are:
These are the main foundational courses.
List Of University That Offers Nursing in Nigeria
- Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo
- Bayero University, Kano
- University of Benin (UNIBEN)
- University of Calabar (UNICAL)
- Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
- Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- University of Ibadan (UI)
- Igbinedion University Okada
- University of Jos (UNIJOS)
- Imo State University, Owerri (IMSU)
- University of Ilorin (UNILORIN)
- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso (LAUTECH)
- University of Lagos (UNILAG)
- Madonna University, Okija
- University of Maiduguri (UNIMAID)
- Niger Delta University Yenagoa (NDU)
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (OAU)
- University of Port-Harcourt (UNIPORT)
- Usumanu Danfodiyo University (UDUSOK)
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka (UNIZIK)
- The University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
- National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma
- Abia State University, Uturu
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti – Ekiti State
- Achievers University, Owo
- Osun State University Osogbo (UNIOSUN)
- Adeleke University Ede (AUE)
- Bowen University, Iwo
- Federal University, Birnin Kebbi (FUBK)
Courses Related To Nursing
Some courses related to nursing that you may want to consider studying.
- Public Health Technology
- Medicine and Surgery
- Nutrition and Dietetics
Nurses Salaries in Nigeria
This is a very interesting part nursing aspirants are always asking.
Honestly, in Nigeria today, I don’t think nurses are well paid as compared to nurses in other countries.
You can check out the article, salaries of nurses in Nigeria to see a very detailed explanation of the salaries.
Nursing is a very great profession and it also pays to be a nurse. It just depends on your country. If you check the highest paying countries for nurses in the world, you will understand what I mean.
From the discussion I have held with nursing students and nursing aspirants, they always look forward to practising nurse outside Nigeria.
Well, it’s not a bad idea at all. You can check the countries in need of nurses the most.
Having gone through this article, you already know the list of courses you need to take seriously if you must study nursing in Nigeria.
Lastly, most nursing aspirants don’t know the difference between a nurse that attended a university and that of the school of nursing.
We have done incredible articles that fully address the difference.
Kindly go through the list of related articles below to see more articles that will guide you on becoming a good nurse.
- The Contact Details Of All Teaching Hospitals In Nigeria
- List of Nursing Schools in Nigeria and Their School Fees